Referencing Activities – SMART boards

Many thanks for all of the varied replies and suggestions.  I have outlined below for those who requested.

1.       Kahoot – https://kahoot.com/   - free and easy to use, but learners need to have app on their phones – if you register then it’s possible to see the public referencing activities which other people have set up – feedback is that it’s a fun activity and keeps learners engaged

“It’s an online multiple choice game type software. You can create your own game, insert pictures, video, etc. The question and answer options come up on the screen where you are logged in as teacher. Students use their mobile phone in class to answer. It can be anonymous and competitive, which goes down well with our students and is actually a bit of fun for a very dry subject matter. It’s also scalable to large numbers and can get everyone involved” (Isabel Fleischmann)

2.      PPT presentations – with ‘spot the difference’ references – students can circle / underline mistakes on SMART board –

3.      Dragster – http://webducate.net/products/dragster-2/

Free and relatively easy to set up – I think you would have to know a bit about Unicode to get the title into italics (if at all) plus it didn’t seem possible to change the size of the boxes so it does look a bit odd, students could still move the boxes around the board to get the order right though – here’s a screen shot of my attempt

4.       Scratch https://scratch.mit.edu/ - worth a try – our network has blocked access at present,  so need to investigate this further – if anyone does have any success with it, then it would be good to know!

5.       Red/yellow/Green card voting system – students have laminated coloured cards – tagged together – and use these to vote on correct answers which are correspondingly colour coded – these have multiple applications

6.       Xerte - involves setup and investment from your organisation... http://www.xerte.org.uk/index.php?lang=en I think Cardiff have done some

7.       In-house referencing generators –

I think that summarises everyone’s suggestions.  I will investigate Kahoot further and do some research to find out if our Access and Foundation Degree students all have the latest smartphones!

Cathy Heath

Subject Librarian, School of Health, Social Care and Childcare

Croydon College Library

College Road

Fairfield

CROYDON COLLEGE

CR9 1DX

X3317 (internal)

This Email is to be treated as confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient please forward or delete it immediately. No liability can be accepted if this email is accessed by third parties. Any views or opinions are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily represent those of the College. The College operates virus protection; however you must carry out your own virus checks. The College is a public authority within the meaning of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and communications received may be made available in accordance with that Act. If any Email is considered to be confidential, commercially sensitive or otherwise exempt under that Act this must be specifically stated. No employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of College with another party by email without express written authorisation from the Principal or their authorised representative.