Dear Friends,

We want to share some news from the GNHRE with you.

*GNHRE EVENT AT IUCN IN GLASGOW*

First, we are excited about a very special GNHRE event to be held at the *IUCN
Academy of Environmental Law* in Glasgow, Scotland on *July 6 *at *9:15. *The
session,  entitled “Integration of Special Rapporteurs Procedures Beyond
the UN,"  will be in conjunction with the appearance of the Special
Rapporteurs later that day. Key themes include governance and human rights,
business and human rights, and limitations of human rights approaches to
environmental protection.

Mr John Knox, the UN Special Rapporteur on human rights and the
environment, as well as Mr Baskut Tuncak, the UN Special Rapporteur on the
implications of the environmentally sound management and disposal of
hazardous substances and wastes, will participate in the discussion, led by
GNHRE members Sam Adelman, Erin Daly, Carmen Gonzalez, Louis Kotzé, Ole W
Pedersen, and Sara Seck.

The session will explore concrete ways in which the work of the Special
Rapporteurs may be utilised, and how the work influences and is influenced
by the UN system and the world beyond it. This includes its relevance for
teaching, scholarship, environmental human rights ‘activism’ and litigation.

We warmly invite any members who will be in Glasgow to attend this session;
if you would like to participate in the planning for this event, please
contact Erin Daly at [log in to unmask]  or Sara Seck at [log in to unmask]

Here is the IUCNAEL website:
https://www.strath.ac.uk/research/strathclydecentreenvironmentallawgovernance/events/conferences/2018thetransformationofenvironmentallawandgovernanceinnovationriskandresilience/programme/

We hope to see many of you there. This is also a good chance for GNHRE
members to get together in person!

*GNHRE RESEARCH REPOSITORY*

We are embarking on an ambitious effort to revitalize and expand the
research repository on the website. We are especially keen to include
recent scholarship and scholarship from the Global South. Please contact
Evadne Grant at [log in to unmask] if you would like to help with this
effort or if you have scholarship to include.

*ENRICHING THE GNHRE COMMUNITY*

We are continually expanding opportunities for communication and engagement
among our members. Last year we worked hard to renovate the website
<http://gnhre.org/>so that it is more interesting and more useful to
members. We continue to invite you check it often and to send anything you
would like to have posted in the community pages to Dina Townsend at

In addition, we’ve started a *Twitter *feed. Please send anything you would
like to see in the twitterverse to Hector Herrera at

And finally, we are exploring ways to start a* YouTube* channel. Please
contact Ana Lucia Maya Aguirre at [log in to unmask] if you would like
to help out with that.

*NEW MEMBERS*

Please encourage your colleagues to join the GNHRE; you can send
nominations to Louis Kotze ([log in to unmask]) or Sara Seck (
[log in to unmask]). Nominations for emerging scholars should be sent to Josh
Gellers ([log in to unmask]).

*GNHRE ENGAGES WITH PERMANENT PEOPLE’S TRIBUNAL *

From May 14th-18th 2018, the Permanent Peoples’ Tribunal, successor to the
post-War Russell Tribunal, held a session on ‘Fracking, Human Rights and
Climate Change’. For the first time in an international forum fracking was
brought together explicitly with climate change and human rights violations
in an extended examination by leading international jurists sitting in
judgment on the evidence and arguments presented. This PPT was
unprecedented in two other respects. First, this session of the PPT
considered the rights of nature alongside, and contextualising, human
rights arguments. Secondly, also for the first time, the entire hearing was
conducted online, making this PPT session the most inclusive and accessible
session ever held. A permanent record of all the sessions is publicly
available via this link:
https://www.tribunalonfracking.org/stream-the-tribunal-live/

The Tribunal drew together an exceptionally rich and well-qualified group
of people, including The UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and the
Environment, John Knox; Robin Wall Kimmerer, Director of the Center for
Native Peoples and the Environment, Cormac Cullinan, communities affected
by fracking; and an array of other human rights activists, lawyers and
scholars as well as rights for nature advocates and scholars. The judges
have now retired, complete with all the information and evidence—which will
include a fully transcribed court document of all the sessions—to reflect
on their verdict, due to be delivered sometime in September 2018.

The PPT was the result of a lot of behind the scenes work by Tom Kerns
(Director: Environment and Human Rights Advisory) in partnership with
members of the GNHRE and the Human Rights Consortium, London—and arose as a
direct result of a partnership between these three organisations. The PPT
was also accompanied by a lecture series, the Bedrock lectures, bringing
together a wide range of thinkers, activists, film makers and others to
address the tribunal’s theme:
https://www.tribunalonfracking.org/bedrock-lectures/ The line up includes
Mary Wood, Josh Fox, Anthony Ingrafia, Bill McKibben, Kathleen Dean Moore
and others—including Anna Grear of the GNHRE.

We look forward to seeing you in Scotland, and at other events in the
coming months!

Best,

GNHRE Core Team

Sam Adelman

Tim Blackman
Peter Burdon

Erin Daly

Oliver Fuo

Josh Gellers

Carmen Gonzalez

Evadne Grant

Anna Grear

Hector Herrera

Louis Kotze

Rosemary Lyster

Ana Lucia Maya Aguirre

Daniel Pallangyo

Ole Windahl Pedersen

Sara Seck

Dina Lupin Townsend

Erin Daly
Professor of Law
Delaware Law School <http://delawarelaw.widener.edu/>

Co-Founder, Dignity Rights Project
<http://delawarelaw.widener.edu/prospective-students/jd-program/jd-academics/public-interest/dignity-rights-project/>
Director, Global Network for Human Rights and the Environment (GNHRE)
<http://gnhre.org/>

*Dignity Rights: Constitutions, Courts, and the Worth of the Human Person
<http://www.amazon.com/Dignity-Rights-Constitutions-Citizenship-Constitutionalism/dp/0812244400>Reconciliation
in Divided Societies: Finding Common Ground
<http://www.amazon.com/Reconciliation-Divided-Societies-Finding-Pennsylvania/dp/0812221249/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8>Global
Environmental Constitutionalism
<http://www.amazon.com/Global-Environmental-Constitutionalism-James-May/dp/1107022258/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415097728&sr=1-1&keywords=global+environmental+constitutionalism>*
*Environmental Constitutionalism
<https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/environmental-constitutionalism?___website=uk_warehouse>*
Scholarship on SSRN
<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=83682>

Vice President, Institutional Development
UNIFA (Universite de la Fondation Dr. Aristide)
<http://unifa-edu.info/contenu/>
Tabarre, Haiti