Hi Anderson,
I'm back for some follow-up questions.
I want to test for the main effects and interaction between my two
within-subject factors: Factor A with 3 levels (C, V and M) and Factor B
with 3 levels (scan number; S1, S2, S3).
I used the GLM matrix that you suggested and loaded the following contrasts
(see attached).
I'm currently looking at tfce_corrp_fstat3.nii.gz to see which regions show
an interaction between factors A and B.
Are the f-contrasts set up correctly to test what I want?
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Florencia.

> [...]

>>> (note: I hadn't included the exchangeability blocks in the matrix in the
>>> excel file but I was, indeed, using one per subject in the GLM design)
>>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zTJywYURacxD6q-23TeW
>>> 56r4V2D52bk3uFDAzWCwgEg/edit?usp=sharing
>>>

>> Looks fine if you're following the previous email.
>>

>>> Sorry for my naivety, why is this design rank deficient? I thought each
>>> column would capture the mean for each subject. What would be the
>>> difference with the corrected matrix you suggest, besides having one less
>>> EV?
>>>

>> The original design has, say N columns, but these can be represented in a
>> R^(N-1) space with no loss of information. There is an "extra" dimension
>> there. A way of saying is that at least one of the EVs can be fully
>> represented by a linear combination of all others. Here, the sum of all
>> subject-specific EVs is the same as the sum of all other EVs.
>>

>>> The contrasts will remain the same since I haven't touched those EVs,
>>> right? (just removing the extra EV)
>>>

>> Correct.
>>

>>> My 3 scans per condition: S1, S2, S3 are set at 0, 30 min and 24 hs. I
>>> guess the most ideal would be to assume a first-order autoregressive
>>> covariance matrix. Is this a possibility? In case it's not, am I still safe
>>> assuming compound symmetry?
>>>

>> It's hard to tell really. Do you expect that dependences between 0-30 min
>> are the same as 0-24h? For structural scans this is likely ok, maybe less
>> so for functional scans. I can't tell which way to take because I don't
>> know either. But you can resort to sign-flipping as long as the
>> distribution of the residuals at the group level is symmetric (for fMRI his
>> is usually the case).
>>

>>> Does PALM's corrcon use Bonferroni to correct for the multiple contrasts?
>>>

>> PALM uses synchronized permutations across contrasts to allow for the
>> correction, such that non-independence between contrasts is taken into
>> account. In randomise one would use Bonferroni. If contrasts are
>> independent, then -corrcon and Bonferroni lead to similar results.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Anderson
>>

>>> Thanks again!
>>> Regards,
>>> Florencia.

>>> --
>>> Ing. Florencia Jacobacci.
>>>
>>> Instituto de Fisiología y Biofísica (IFIBIO) - Bernardo Houssay
>>> Laboratorio de Fisiología de la Acción, Facultad de Medicina
>>> Universidad de Buenos Aires
>>> Paraguay 2155, C.A.B.A.(C1121ABG), Argentina
>>> ☎ 5950 9500 int 2132
>>>
>>> http://www.physiologyofactionlab.info/en/about-the-lab/
>>> https://ar.linkedin.com/in/florenciajacobacci/en
>>>

> --
> Ing. Florencia Jacobacci.
>
> Instituto de Fisiología y Biofísica (IFIBIO) - Bernardo Houssay
> Laboratorio de Fisiología de la Acción, Facultad de Medicina
> Universidad de Buenos Aires
> Paraguay 2155, C.A.B.A.(C1121ABG), Argentina

PhD student / Becaria doctoral