HI Alan

There are some benefits to having a formal diagnosis of a SPLD such as dyslexia -e.g. extra time in exams, but the difficulty is in providing the necessary evidence. The Form 8 which we are required to complete for JCQ exams when requesting, for example, extra time, following a dyslexia assessment contains the statement:

"If the candidate’s first language is not English, you must show that he/she has underlying difficulties in their first language.  The candidate’s difficulties must not be due to their limited acquisition of the English language."  (JCQ's bold/ underline!)

This can be tricky, particularly if the student has had limited, or no education before coming to the UK. In practice, it is often difficult to untangle limited education, sporadic/ interrupted learning of English, trauma, medical issues and other background factors from any specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia. Also the student must have sufficient English to enable the assessment to be carried out reliably.

Where the student has persistent and significant difficulties and is disabled within the meaning of the Equality Act 2010, it is possible for medical issues on their own to provide evidence for Access Arrangements. So, e.g., visual problems (more than just wearing glasses!) could form the basis for an application for extra time, and/or enlarged papers. In these situations, a Form 8 isn't necessary -there is additional other paperwork required though!

I would also recommend getting in touch with Anne Margaret! She has some good training courses and resources on this issue. It is not a straightforward area -but it is one that is well worth investigating.

Ros Wright
Lecturer: Dyslexia Support

Tel: 0800 111 6311 | Ext: 0121 694 5023 / x5023 | DDI: 0121 694 5023 / x5023
| www.sccb.ac.uk
| www.bournville.ac.uk/

corporate logo
South and City College Birmingham
Digbeth Campus
High Street Deritend
Digbeth
Birmingham
B5 5SU

| SCCB Facebook | SCCB Twitter | SCCB YouTube

corporate logo corporate logo