Dear Alan,

It's not always easy to tell what the underlying causes of difficulties
are for older ESOL learners, but the CAML assessment tools ('Cognitive
Assessments for Multilingual Learners') were designed specifically to
help us unpick the different factors (e.g. lack of previous educational
experience, stress/trauma or cognitive differences such as dyslexia) and
find the best way forward for them to progress.

As Diane kindly noted, you can find more info at the _ELT well _web
site:
http://eltwell.com/dyslexia-assessment/spld-assessments-for-multilingual-people/

I think that there are benefits for all learners in finding out more
about how they work best, and cognitive evaluations like the CAML can
contribute to this. In terms of giving a formal label, you would need to
judge how the students might respond to that. Some mature learners I
have worked with were just really relieved to find out that the
challenges they have experienced all their lives have an identifiable
cause (apart from believing themselves to be 'stupid' or 'lazy'). Others
might feel ashamed of having a 'disability'. You need to handle it very
carefully and choose the right words to address the subject with them.

There are also clear benefits in being able to get exam access
arrangements in place for students taking formal assessments, although
check with the exam board whether a formal identification is really
necessary - some boards will allow extra time on the centre's
recommendation (check with your exam office too!).

Some of the CAML tasks can be used with a whole group and provide a
springboard for discussion about learning strategies, so even if you
don't want to go down the route of formal individual assessment, there
is a lot you could do to support learners with memory issues, for
example. See also the follow-up activities book: 'Including Dyslexic
Language Learners', which is a collection of whole-class activities to
develop memory strategies, or phonological awareness, or whatever area
the student/s need more support in.

As for the question regarding the Jobcentre - I'm afraid I don't know
enough about the regulations to be able to advise, although I am sure
other people on this list will be able to help. I would say, though,
that in the case of a dispute about progression, if it turns out that a
student does indeed have a specific learning difference, such as
dyslexia, it would certainly strengthen their case, as they would be
protected under the Equality Act.

Hope this helps. Do feel free to contact me off-list if there is
anything else I can help with.

Best wishes,
Anne Margaret
_ELT WELL_