In my research with people with disabilities in Burkina Faso, I have often
encountered the term 'burden'. This was reiterated by people with
disabilities themselves when describing how they are perceived by society,
that is, as a burden (mostly economically, but also care-wise ). This
perception is so strong that some feel that they have to prove themselves
as otherwise, and in fact, through a participatory video I facilitated, a
group of disabled people talked about this and about the struggles they go
through, in their own words, to "overcome their disability". As Deborah
points out, these terms are seen as problematic in many studies, however,
these are the  terms that  the participants themselves used in describing
their lived experiences.

Lara

-----------------
Dr Lara Bezzina
*PhD - Disability & Development (Durham University, UK)*

*M.A. Research Methods l M.A. Human Rights & DemocratisationTwitter:
@LaraBezzina l Blog: https://larabezzina.wordpress.com
<https://larabezzina.wordpress.com> l Skype: aral219 *
*LinkedIn: **https://www.linkedin.com/in/larabezzina
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/larabezzina>*