Dear All,

We are pleased to invite you for the 3rd Affordable Housing Forum: Towards new Cultures of Affordable Housing?, co-organized by the The Affordable Housing Forum of ETH CASE Centre for Research on Architecture, Society & the Built Environment and Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research.

Date:
12-13 November 2018

Place: Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research

The European Union has dedicated the year 2018 to cultural heritage. This occasion invites us to rethink the ways culture influences our built environment and ultimately the way we live. Housing is always related to culture – with influences ranging from climatic and geographic conditions, available resources, social conditions, building practices, housing needs and practices of use, to laws and regulations and political idiosyncrasies.

We invite the submissions from different academic disciplines that investigate current forms and models of affordable housing – and their links to cultural and local context. We invite the submissions that will contribute with empirical and/or theoretical insights to the debate on affordable housing.

The thematic panels

Theme 1: The Culture of Affordable Living: About lifestyles, housing needs, preferences and daily practices

Theme 2: Reading Culture in Affordable Housing Plans: Advances in affordable housing projects and their analysis

Theme 3: Cultures of Affordable Housing Systems- The role of culture in understanding affordable housing models, housing supply, affordability and profitability

Theme 4: Towards a Cultural Reading of Policy: Place-specificity of laws and regulations and their link to housing affordability.

Theme 5: The Need for Regional Approaches to Affordable Housing: Cross-border living cultures in cross-border territories.

For details, please see the pdf enclosed.

Submission

Paper proposals should include your name, affiliation, contact details, a title, up to five key words, and your panel preference. The text body of the abstract should not exceed 300 words. Please submit a pdf file no later than May 31, 2018 to ahf(a)arch.ethz.ch. Authors will be notified by June 15.

Conference Organization

Academic Conference Committee

Dr. Magdalena Gorczynska, LISER

Dr. Brano Glumac, LISER

Dr. Marie Glaser, ETH Wohnforum – ETH CASE Zürich

Dr. Anthony Boanada-Fuchs, ETH Wohnforum – ETH CASE Zürich

Prof. Dr. Michal Kohout, Prague University

Prof. Dr. Stefan Lundberg, KTH Stockholm

Prof. Dr. Sergio Nasarre-Aznar, UNESCO Chair of Housing, University Rovira i Virgili

Dr.ing. Gerard van Bortel, TU Delft

Dr. Richard Lang, Johannes Kepler University Linz

Dr. Anna Richter, HafenCity University Hamburg

Ar. Jaime Royo Olid, University of Cambridge

For questions, please contact ahf2018(a)arch.ethz.ch or magdalena.gorczynska(a)liser.lu.

regards,
Magdalena Gorczynska

Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research
11, Porte des Sciences
L-4366 Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg
e-mail: [log in to unmask]