Hi everyone,

I've been asked to provide some continuing professional development input to the team I work with within an NHS service for child and young people with a learning disability and/or autism. I am new to this population, having had the last two years off and the first 8 years of my nhs career working with adults.

I am struggling to find any critical thinking around the idea that it is "best practice" to work with people for a specific amount of time around a specific reason. NICE guidelines talk about "short-term assessment and intervention" and "intervention" guidelines recommend "a specified timescale to meet intervention goals". However I can't find any written literature about why this is seen as most helpful for people and my current conclusion is that the driver is purely economic.

In my work with adults I felt it was important to support the population to get out of, and away from, psychiatric services as quickly as possible. I saw the community mental health teams as replacements for natural community and I saw the medical model as doing more harm than good. However, in the children and young people with learning disability and/or autism team, I think the staff are doing ethical non-pathologising systemic work and I am left wondering whether it wouldn't be better for this population to have a team contact for as long as they want one. I can think of a few arguments against this myself and I am happy to have a genuine debate within the continuing professional development session, however does anyone in this group have anything to say about this topic? or is anyone aware of anything written in any context that they could direct me to?

Yours in anticipation,
Sarah B