Dear CCP4BB members,

I have an open postdoc position (funded for 3-years) in my lab at the EMBL Heidelberg, Germany to study the cooperation between transposons and host DNA repair.
The work will involve protein-nucleic acid biochemistry, structural biology (X-ray crystallography and cryoEM), in cell microscopy, and/or
bioinformatics approaches.

Please see the complete call text below.
To apply, please go to www.embl.org/jobs.
If you need any further information or are interested in different projects in our lab, please contact me directly.

Best regards,
Orsolya

The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is a world leading international research organization pursuing interdisciplinary research in the Life Sciences (www.embl.de). The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy).

A fully funded postdoctoral position is available in the Barabas Group in Heidelberg. The group studies mobile genetic elements using structural, biochemical and cell biology approaches. We strive to learn how these “jumping genes” move between genomic locations, and how they integrate in the life-cycle of their host organisms and ecosystems (e.g. Rubio-Cosials et al. Cell 2018). Building on structure-function relationships, we further develop tools for genetic engineering (Voigt et al. Nat Commun. 2016).

Transposons comprise much of modern genomes, but their mechanisms and physiological roles are poorly understood. While DNA repair pathways safeguard genome stability, mobile genetic elements keep changing genomic sequence and expression profile driving evolution, adaptation and genetic diversity. In this project, we aim to elucidate how transposons liaise with their host to impart genome plasticity without harming the host.

We seek a skilled and passionate biochemist or structural biologist to study the cooperation of transposons with the DNA repair machineries in their host. The work will include protein-nucleic acid biochemisty, structural biology (X-ray crystallography and cryoEM), cell biology, microscopy, and/or bioinformatics approaches. This project is part of a DFG-funded collaboration with the Bétermier lab (I2BC, CNRS, France), providing the opportunity for extensive interdisciplinary interactions.

The postdoctoral fellow will have access to world-class structural biology, proteomics, genomics, and microscopy facilities at EMBL and will be offered expert training in relevant experimental techniques. After initial training, he/she will be expected to work independently, while well integrated into a highly collaborative team. For more information, you may contact Dr. Barabas per e-mail. Researchers interested in working on other projects in the group should also write to Dr. Barabas directly.