If I may jump in, I wonder if there are any hardware configurations
(monitor, 3D glasses, graphics cards, etc.) that allow 3D graphics
with a MacIntosh OSX platform.

-Daniel

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 4:42 AM, Wim Burmeister <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I answer a bit late, but I repost a message on 3D graphics from Mai 2017 :

Hello,

we just wanted to share our experience in finding a configuration which allows to use 3D graphics under linux using Nvidia GeForce 3D glasses.

We had quite a hard time to find a configurations which works correctly.

We finally used Debian linux with a xfce desktop. Other recent desktops use a tiling which is not compatible with 3D graphics.

The hardware consists of

  • a DELL Precision T5810  desktop computer with an Nvidia Quadro M4000 (8 Gbyte memory, 4 DP) graphics card
  • Nvidia GeForce 3D Vision 2 (NVIDIA GEF 3D VISION 2 GLASSES KIT) active stereo glasses
  • a stereo connector PNY Quadro 4000 3D for the synchronization of graphics card and glasses
  • an ASUS 24" LED 3D - VG248QE display
  • a DisplayPort-DisplayPort cable

The Nvidia linux drivers from version 367.57 can handle the current version of the Nvidia glasses.

For an obscure reason a direct DP-DP connection between graphics card and display is absolutely required in order to obtain fully working stereo. If a DP-DVI dual link adapter is used, the stereo does not work on the top and the bottom part of the screen. This is true for a native DELL active adaptor or generic models. The exact reason remains unresolved, but the solution is to use a direct DP-DP connection. This limits the available choice of displays which require 120 Hz for 1080*1980 screen resolution and a DP input. We have been choosing a “Nvidia 3D ready” model.

There has been a considerate about of exchange about this problem on

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/992892/linux/partially-working-stereoscopic-effect-with-3d-vision-under-debian-linux/

The setup comes with a price tag of about 1600 € free of taxes.

coot, pymol and chimera work straight without problems in hardware stereo mode. The experience is absolutely great.

Best

Wim

--

Wim Burmeister
Professeur

CS 20192
38044 Grenoble Cedex 9
, FRANCE
E-mail:
Tel:    +33 (0) 457 42 87 41       Fax: +33 (0) 476 20 94 00

website