Hi Robbie,
I thought LINK just adds another bond restrain to the refinement procedure and does not affect already existing restrains in library cif file. Am I wrong?
Also, what do you mean by "modify the chemistry"?
Just to test your suggestion, I have added LINKs for heme c vynil groups in 4qo5 and ran refinement in refmac 5.8. I took F(+) from deposited cif file as F and SigF(+) as SIGF. After refinement HEC601 and HEC604 have incorrect position of CBC atom.
Note: I took 4qo5 just as example of cytochrome c to show issues with HEC and do not intend to insult authors of original paper.

Addendum:

4qo5 actually lacks the right LINK records altogether. It will only work if you add these by hand. Perhaps you should ask the depositors or the PDB to add the appropriate LINK records.

Cheers,
Robbie