https://www.psi.ch/pa/stellenangebote/1760

Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI)
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.

Within the Electron Microscopy Group (EMF) we have a strong user community for biology research projects taking advantage of the availability of our two transmission electron microscopes. The main focus is cryo tomography, single particle analysis and electron diffraction. Our high-end 200 keV TEM equipped with two direct electron detectors allows high-end data acquisition and the development of new techniques. For this group we are looking for a

Staff Scientist
Your tasks
As a part of a highly skilled and motivated team you will be involved in maintaining and further developing hard- and software in collaboration with PSI groups working in biology and development, in user training as well as implementing new techniques at the facility.

  *   Technical support for the 2 transmission electron microscopes at the EMF including daily maintenance
  *   Introductory trainings to new users at the EMF
  *   Advise and support scientists (mainly withing biological context) with their experiments at the EMF
  *   Further development of existing and implementation of novel technologies and procedures for the analysis and interpretation of cryo-electron microscopy data of biological specimens
  *   Expert support in sample preparation of biological specimens using the high pressure freezer and vitrobot at the facility
  *   Close collaboration with the manager of the facility for maintaining hard- and software and establishing new techniques at the facility
  *   Supporting and advancing important projects at the facility: high end single particle analysis, electron diffraction methods and electron ptychography

Your profile

  *   University degree at PhD level or equivalent in natural sciences
  *   Strong background and hands-on experience in electron microscopy is required
  *   Experience in cryo EM technologies (hardware and software)
  *   Strong interest in biological projects using electron imaging methods
  *   Strong communication and collaboration skills in an international environment
  *   Fluent communication in English
  *   Previous experience in user support and/or EM user facility is a strong plus

We offer
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.

This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.

For further information please contact Dr Elisabeth Müller, phone +41 56 310 54 11.

Please submit your application online (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Staff Scientist (index no. 2315-01).

Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sevil Minniti, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland

Prof. Gebhard F.X. Schertler
Structural Biology ETH Zürich D-BIOL

Head of Biology and Chemistry
Division
Paul Scherrer Institut
Laboratory of Biomolecular Research,
LBR
OFLC 109
CH-5232 Villigen PSI
phone +41 56 310 4265<tel:+41%2056%20310%204265>