OK, Luke. I’m going to have to look at the Ashbery poem a bit in order to respond, so I will get back to you more precisely later. My first reaction is, given these lines are fragments (and much of the poem is collaged, which caused major critical complaint when these poems are released), how can you believe your interpretation is what Ashbery had in mind? How can you know that the authenticity you sense isn’t just a projection on your part? Or, simply, that it’s not part of your agreement with the writer that you will read his poetry openly as long as you can ascribe to it what you feel is authentic?

Does the glove belong to the She, to the I, or is it a randomly lost glove? Is it an evening glove, or a baseball mitt? Is the field in the country or Shea Stadium? Does the word suddenly belong to the I or the She? How do you know? The fragmentation (especially when it’s out of context) allows for the reader to have their will with the words? In a way, that’s sort of the point of fragments.

The other thing I need to know before spending time looking at the poems these sections are drawn from is, what do you mean by lower-order terms? Just that they cannot be read as meta-terms? And how does the implicit value system of hierarchy spin your designation here, if it does?

I’ll add to this later, unfortunately quite a bit later given work demands, but I’m keeping this conversation in mind …

jaimerobles.com

QS: Let’s return to poetics.
JR: When did we leave?

—From the conversation between Quinta Slef and Joan Retallack, The Poethical Wager