Hannibal points to a paradox that I’ve noticed as well. On the one hand, there is a lot more stuff that people could or should work on, but on the other hand the academic prestige economy leads to more and more scholars chasing fewer and fewer texts. Titus Andronicus and Lust’s Dominion are both plays about a lascivious queen and an ambitious Moor. The last time I looked in JSRORthe ratio of publication was a score of something like 50:1 in Shakespeare’s favour.

From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Hannibal Hamlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, April 6, 2018 at 7:14 AM
To: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Books out of print

In teaching a course on literature and religion in the seventeenth century, I've been struck by how many major authors are no longer in print, mainly, I think, because of the disappearance of good Penguin editions. Thomas Browne is gone, as are Henry Vaughan and Thomas Traherne. And there are no viable alternatives. Has anyone else noticed this, and are there other authors who have dropped out of circulation?

I guess I have a couple of ideas about this development. The first is that the interest in poetry in general has waned over the last several decades, perhaps due in part to the focus of much popular theory on the novel. (I note with surprise how little the critical bibliography on seventeenth-century poets, except Milton, has developed since the 80s.) The other thought is that the dwindling job market has resulted in an unhealthy focus on Shakespeare and drama, since as the Humanities sink below the waves, Shakespeare is the last Renaissance writer to go under.

Thoughts?

Hannibal

--
Hannibal Hamlin