CALL FOR PAPERS

Unseen voices: Representations, interpretations and reconstructions

‘There’s really no such thing as ‘voiceless’. There are only the deliberately silenced or preferably unheard.’ – Arundhati Roy

Where: Maynooth University, Co. Kildare, Ireland

When: 12th and 13th October 2018

NPPSH is an annual conference, initiated in 2016 by Maynooth University. Designed and organised by postgraduate students, for postgraduate students – our objective is to highlight the scope and depth of emerging humanities across a diverse range of disciplines.

We invite both individual and panel abstracts from researchers (Masters and PhDs) for 20-minute presentations centred on the theme of ‘Unseen voices: Representations, interpretations and reconstructions’

2018 is a year of both commemoration of past achievements in equality and inclusivity and a renewed awareness of our socio-political responsibilities as Irish and international citizens. This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement, the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day and 100 years since Countess Markievicz was elected to the Houses of Parliament and Irish women gained the right to vote. In the wake of Repeal the 8th, #IBelieveHer and #MeToo campaigns, this year has been a watershed in terms of emerging voices. It is hoped that ‘unseen voices’ will foster an inquiry into the debates surrounding hidden and untold stories in various disciplines and time periods, as well as stoke investigation into our roles and responsibilities as researchers in making the invisible visible and the silenced heard.

Suggested themes include but are not limited to:

·         Commemoration

·         Memory

·         Performance

·         Tradition vs modernity

·         Societies and communities

·         Publics and counter-publics

·         Gender

·         Migration and diasporas

·         Violence, marginalisation and boundaries

Proposals of no more than 250 words should be submitted via the below link no later than Friday 18th May 2018.

http://nppsh.maynoothuniversity.ie/call-for-papers/

We are generously supported by The Arts and Humanities Research Institute and Maynooth University Graduate Studies Office.

@nppshie #nppsh18 #LoveIrishResearh