cpd25-oneManaging Student Behaviour

Thursday 12th April 2018
9:00am – 4:30pm

The 21st century university library is regarded as a ‘safe place’ and space to ‘feel at home’ for many students.

Alongside traditional resources, the library may replicate the comfort of a modern entertainment hub with cafés, big screen areas and comfy seating; but what behaviour is acceptable can be unclear in these varied environments. Frontline staff are also faced with increased demands from students paying a high cost for education.

We will examine approaches to managing student behaviour supportively and collaboratively, while maintaining an appropriate environment for learning and teaching support.

This workshop would be ideal for front-line library staff, library supervisors and student services staff. Attendees will have a chance to network and share best practice with peers and professionals.

Programme

The morning interactive workshop will be led by Ash Charlton, Director of Ace Training.
This will cover the changing pressures on the student population, and, recommend effective strategies for setting boundaries and challenging difficult behaviour. Ash will then work with the group to agree standards of positive language use, awareness of cultural issues that may affect communication, and make recommendations for challenging unacceptable behaviour.

In the afternoon colleagues from three institutions – Jo Taplin-Green from LSE, Rowan Williamson from Central St Martins, UAL and Derek MacKenzie from City, University of London will share their experiences of managing student behaviour in practical ways.

Venue: London Mathematical Society
Cost:
£225 for members and £325 for other institutions. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.

To book a place please use our online booking form.

We also have visits to the London School of Economics and Bishopsgate Institute Libraries coming up.

Visits are free of charge for staff from M25 member institutions. See our website for more information.

Staff Development and Training programme of the

M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries

M25 Consortium of Academic Libraries

Room 653

Senate House Library