Dear CAS list,

I am pleased to announce the release of my new book 'Inner Sound: Altered States of Consciousness in Electronic Music and Audio-Visual Media', published by Oxford University Press.

The book can be purchased directly from the publisher here: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/inner-sound-9780190671198?lang=en&cc=gb and is also available from Amazon and most other retailers.

I will be giving a talk related to the book at EVA London 2018 as part of the pre-conference symposium day, hope to see some of you there!

Many thanks,

Jon Weinel

---

INNER SOUND: ALTERED STATES OF CONSCIOUSNESS IN ELECTRONIC MUSIC AND AUDIO-VISUAL MEDIA

In Inner Sound, author Jonathan Weinel traverses the creative influence of ASCs, from Amazonian chicha festivals to the synaesthetic assaults of neon raves; and from an immersive outdoor electroacoustic performance on an Athenian hilltop to a mushroom trip on a tropical island in virtual reality. Beginning with a discussion of consciousness, the book explores how our subjective realities may change during states of dream, psychedelic experience, meditation, and trance. Taking a broad view across a wide range of genres, Inner Sound draws connections between shamanic art and music, and the modern technoshamanism of psychedelic rock, electronic dance music, and electroacoustic music. Going beyond the sonic into the visual, the book also examines the role of altered states in film, visual music, VJ performances, interactive video games, and virtual reality applications.

Praise for Inner Sound:

"An original analysis of a wealth of material artifacts, Weinel's trek across the frontiers of audio visual sensory technology and into the modern means of transforming consciousness represents a sorely needed and significant contribution to the fields of popular music and cultural studies."
— Graham St. John, author of Mystery School in Hyperspace: A Cultural History of DMT