From: A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of NISBET Paul
Sent: 11 April 2018 18:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Typing on a PC using the thumb-sticks and maybe a button or two of a conventional Xbox type controller

Hi Barrie

Do you mean allocating joystick movements and buttons to keystrokes, e.g. a method of coding?

Or Dasher? https://bltt.org/dasher/

Coincidentally, we’re making a new version of an interface that I originally built for someone in 1993. It’s a coding system that takes 8 switch inputs and each letter or command is typed with two switch activations, e.g. to type a space activate switch 1 followed by switch 1; to type ‘a’ activate switch 2 followed by switch 2; ‘b’ is switch 3 followed by switch 5.

It’s very quick – see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv4cuetR0VI

The new version is done with an Arduino, so it will be cheap and replicable. The original version which Rhoda still uses bespoke and indeed unique - there’s only 1 of them!

If anyone’s interested get in touch and I’ll keep you up to date re progress.

Paul

Paul Nisbet
Director, CALL Scotland: Communication and Assistive Technology for Learners in Scotland
T. 0131 651 6072.                              [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
CALL Scotland                                    www.callscotland.org.uk<http://www.callscotland.org.uk/>