Thank you Felicity,

 I'm a magician but also trained in scientific research methods, which
offer invaluable help in understanding human processes in religion and
magic,  in a field that has hardly just begun. Your post is a fantastic
answer to the one that started this thread, which to me was not scientific
at all, as another earlier post also succinctly pointed out.

regards

Melissa