Postdoc Opportunity with Cornell's new Initiative on AI, Policy, and Practice

https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/10902

Artificial Intelligence, Policy, and Practice (AIPP) is a new initiative at Cornell University, led by faculty in Computing and Information Science and spanning the Ithaca and New York City campuses. The initiative brings together researchers pursuing fundamental technical advances in AI with scholars considering its ethical, legal, and social implications.

We seek a Postdoctoral Researcher who will help us explore how an integrated interdisciplinary approach to these issues can generate unique insights and provide an effective foundation for future innovation, policy, and advocacy.

The initiative will focus on a number of key challenges in the near-term future of AI. We will investigate how AI might improve the quality of decision-making, while also posing new challenges to fairness, equality, autonomy, dignity, and privacy, among other core values. We will consider how AI risks exacerbating information and power asymmetries, while also providing a way to measure, model, and mitigate these dynamics. Our goal is to establish the appropriate role for AI in addressing pressing issues, while ensuring that it does so with due consideration of social context and ethical norms.

The Postdoctoral Researcher will have the opportunity to help launch and shape this new initiative, conduct research, run seminars, stage events, and foster a truly interdisciplinary community. S/he will collaborate with one or more of the faculty supervisors associated with the initiative: Solon Barocas, Jon Kleinberg, Karen Levy, and Helen Nissenbaum.

Applications are welcome from recent Ph.D. graduates with a range of disciplinary backgrounds (e.g., computer and information science, data science, the social sciences, public policy, philosophy, media studies, science and technology studies, or related fields). Law graduates or ABDs with strong backgrounds or work experience in related fields are also eligible to apply. An interest in and ability to do translational, cross-disciplinary work between fields is crucial. This is a one-year position with the possibility of a second year depending on performance and funding.

The Postdoctoral Researcher may be located in Ithaca or New York City, depending on the location of the primary supervising faculty, but will have ample opportunity to spend time on both campuses. Applications should be submitted to: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/10902 and should include a CV, up to two publications (or writing samples), the names and contact information of three references, and a cover letter summarizing the candidate's relevant background, accomplishments, and fit with the position. A transcript of graduate work (unofficial is acceptable) may also be requested. For substantive questions related to the initiative or position, please contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

The position is available for a Fall 2018 start (or sooner, given the candidate’s availability). We began to review applications on March 5th, but continue to welcome submissions.

Diversity and inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.