From: "Poetryetc: poetry and poetics"
Sent:Wed, 14 Mar 2018 08:42:25 -0600
Subject:Re: Night Walking Snap

 I like this a lot, Jill, the loss seeming to thread ever aspect.

 One small suggestion: because ‘seems’ well seems to be the active
aspect of the remembering in the poem, perhaps you dont need that
‘was’ in the first line? I hear ‘How strange last night, I
beheld your face, electric’ as sounding sharper, leading in…?

 What then follows as felt in memory is finely tuned, indeed.

 Doug

 > On Mar 14, 2018, at 2:22 AM, Jill Jones  wrote:
 >

 > THE UN-MARVELLING
 >

 > How strange was last night, I beheld your face, electric
 >
 > with thought along with my unrest, alight and hollow
 >
 > when the night trees shivered and the block
 >
 > we walked seemed more cluttered than the road
 >
 > we used to walk, where every little plot
 >
 > and fence was tended, maybe we were too narrow
 >
 > maybe we lost our hunger then to care or look
 >
 > to stare at stars, to forget the way we marvelled
 >
 > how their brightness could also seem soft
 >
 > and how the moonlight would seem to strain
 >
 > through the canopy no matter how intense or thick
 >
 > how this strange loveliness may never come again
 >
 > how I wanted something - something I never quite got
 >
 > ________________________
 > Jill Jones
 > www.jilljonescom.au
 >
 > Latest book: Brink, Five Islands Press
 > http://fiveislandspress.com/catalogue/brink-jill-jones

 Douglas Barbour
 https://eclecticruckus.wordpress.com/

 Recent publications: (With Sheila E Murphy) Continuations &
Continuations 2 (UofAPress).
 Recording Dates (Rubicon Press).
 Listen If (UofAPress):

 the way of what fell