I have an undergraduate student working on a major research paper to complete her work on a theology major at our university.

She wants to know if any of you have “any information on when the interpretation of Bathsheba, Susanna, & Tamar began moving from victim into temptress.

There are paintings such as Rembrandt's Bathsheba that depict her being a provocative temptress and I am attempting to find out where that idea originated from.

I'm specifically looking for any medieval commentary or exegesis on the subject.”

Does anyone on the list know anything about this subject matter?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Steven J. McMichael, OFM Conv.

Theology Department

University of Saint Thomas

Saint Paul, MN  USA

University of St. Thomas : All for the Common Good