Dear Colleagues,

The BAM 2018 conference deadline has now been extended to 7th March, so if
you were thinking of submitting and were not yet able to, now is your
opportunity.

Best wishes,
Kevin

Dear Colleagues,

The British Academy of Management's 2018 Conference will take place at the
University of the West of England in Bristol, UK, from 4-6 September 2018.
This year's conference theme is Driving Productivity in Uncertain and
Challenging Times.  Paper submission is now open until the 28th February.

The Management and Business History Track will run again this year, in
addition to the SIG which is in its second successful year.  We encourage
all theoretically motivated submissions in the broad management and
business history field.  This year we particularly look to encourage the
submission of workshops and symposia around a broad theme, as well as Full
(5-7,000 word) and Developmental paper submissions (1-2,000 word).
Submissions from PhD students are also welcome, and we also encourage PhD
students to apply to participate in the BAM Doctoral Symposium.  Please
note that those submitting papers are also expected to contribute to the
paper review process.

The track CfP is as follows:

*BAM Management and Business History Track 2018*

This track aims to encourage the growing number of management and business
historians who work in business schools and social science departments to
engage in constructive debate with a wide range of management scholars. The
2018 conference theme, ‘Driving Productivity in uncertain and challenging
times’, is an ideal opportunity to explore the value of historical study
for management research. Histories of organizations, industries and
institutions give us the opportunity to understand how managers have
responded to uncertain and challenging times in the past, whether it be
through war, economic crisis, scandal or other disruptions to their
activities. Inspired by Fayol, Ford and Taylor managers also attempted to
boost productivity, often with mixed results. In this track we specialize
in chronologically or longitudinally motivated research. We welcome papers,
symposia or workshop proposals either using new and innovative
methodologies, or applying archival methodology to a new disciplinary
context. We are also interested in context specific papers using more
traditional historical methodology but which take innovative approaches to
relate their findings to wider social science concerns. In addition, we
appreciate papers dealing with the legacy of uncertainty in the past in
business and management more generally, and how it has influenced the
diversity of experience in present day businesses, regions and communities.

This year we encourage cross-disciplinary papers and workshop submissions
that link different Tracks, while the main conference theme ought to
feature prominently in all submissions. As a group we are inherently
multi-disciplinary and believe in the application of theory to historical
analysis, and there is no single epistemology for approaching this. We aim
to encourage theoretically orientated social science history with a clear
relationship to present day debates in the management discipline.

Some theoretical and empirical examples of the genre of work that we seek
to welcome include:

Maclean, M., Harvey, C. and Clegg, S.R., 2016. Conceptualizing historical
organization studies. Academy of Management Review, 41(4), pp.609-632.

Cummings, S. and Bridgman, T., 2011. The relevant past: Why the history of
management should be critical for our future. Academy of Management
Learning & Education, 10(1), pp.77-93.

Edwards, R., 2010. Job analysis on the LMS: mechanisation and modernisation
c. 1930–c. 1939. Accounting, Business & Financial History, 20(1), pp.91-105.

Mollan, S. and Tennent, K.D., 2015. International taxation and corporate
strategy: evidence from British overseas business, circa 1900–1965.
Business History, 57(7), pp.1054-1081.

Tennent, K.D. and Gillett, A.G., 2016. Foundations of Managing Sporting
Events: Organising the 1966 FIFA World Cup. Routledge.

More details about this year's conference and venue can be found here
goo.gl/nPZLe7 and you can find the paper submission website here
goo.gl/V5VTwm.

We hope to see you at Bristol in September!

Best wishes,
Kevin
--
Kevin D. Tennent
Lecturer in Management
York Management School
University of York
Freboys Lane
Heslington
York
YO10 5GD
Tel: +44 (0) 1904 325002 <+44%201904%20325002>
OUT NOW  from Routledge - 'Foundations of Managing Sporting Events:
Organizing the 1966 FIFA World Cup' : https://www.routledge.com/
products/9781138645202
Latest publication here: http://www.tandfonline.
com/doi/abs/10.1080/00076791.2014.999671
<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00076791.2014.999671#.VZ-oUcZViko>
Research Coordinator of MOHRC:
*https://www.york.ac.uk/management/centres/mohrc/
<https://www.york.ac.uk/management/centres/mohrc/>*