Indeed.

I suspect Russia, and that this is another public assassination in the vein of the Bulgarian umbrella (chemical agent, not nerve poison) and Polonium, but proper process is important.

Patton was a smart general.

The (class of) agent is publicly reported as stupidly potent, and there have been descriptions of binary munitions for nerve agents - precursors mixed after firing, and the agent only formed while going away supersonically which I think would be very encouraging to artillerymen and anyone under the trajectory.

1. Yes
2.  See above.  Not difficult to provide a delivery system which killed the delivered, target, and all the shoppers in the street, however employee retention is an issue.  Harder to design a system which kills the target a while later, not the deliverer and not a wildly indiscriminate surrounding population.  Easy in doing so to get a sub-promptly-lethal effect, and possibly this makes for more effect.
This is in line with the Makarov Ricination, and the Polonium case.

5.  This government is too lazy to look up the law or existing arrangements, and cares little for them.  But a good point.