From: Metamorphic Studies Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carl Guilmette
Sent: Friday, 2 March 2018 6:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [geo-metamorphism] identifying altered cordierite

Dear metamorphic community,

    We're working on a suite of archean paragneiss (Opinaca subprovince, Superior Craton) that display a barrovian-type sequence of isograds (bt-gt-st-sill). In the field, we have noticed a blueish-greenish mineral in the pressure shadows of early kinematic staurolite, and thought it's either chlorite or cordierite. However, in thin section, the mineral has clearly been altered and shows a heterogeneous chemical composition (see attached document for pictures and probe analyses).

We are looking for ways to confirm or infirm that the altered mineral was once cordierite.

Any comments/advice/references will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Carl and Myriam

Carl Guilmette, PhD. Eng.

Professeur Adjoint

Chaire de Leadership en Enseignement Virginia-Gaumond

Département de Géologie et Génie Géologique

Université Laval

1-418-656-2131 poste 3137