The obvious implication is that host phases seem to have a non-isotropic susceptibility to radiation damage

Hi Robert,

Fission track analysis of apatite and zircon is always conducted on c-axis parallel grain sections for this reason (well, sort of): the track annealing rate depends on orientation within the grain.

So it may not be the susceptibility to radiation damage that is non-isotropic, but rather the ability of the crystal lattice to re-order itself.

Coincidentally, some of the earliest fission track studies by Naeser and co-workers were on micas. Would be interesting to know if anisotropic annealing really does apply to these phases as well.

Chris

--
Dr. Chris Mark
Research Fellow