Dear Colleagues

We are delighted to announce our latest research project, funded by the Nuffield Foundation, to pilot an integrated language and reading programme with deaf and hearing children.

Previous research by our team has highlighted the significant delays that many severely and profoundly deaf children experience when learning to read. This next phase in our research will train teachers to deliver a new reading intervention that addresses the deficits that underlie poor reading in deaf children and which we believe will also benefit many hearing children who fail to make the expected progress in reading.

We are looking to recruit four primary schools with hearing impaired resource bases to take part in this research. Two schools will be randomly allocated to trial the integrated intervention for one year during the school literacy hour. The remaining two schools will continue to deliver their standard literacy teaching and will receive the integrated intervention in the following school year. We will compare children across a range of language and literacy measures at the start and end of the study. If the results of the integrated programme show promise, we will seek funding to conduct a full scale randomised control study. This is the first reading intervention study to include both deaf and hearing children.

Please forward this email to anyone else who may be interested.

For further information, please email Ros Herman and Fiona Kyle (see above).

Yours sincerely

Ros, Charles, Penny & Fiona

[cid:image001.png@01D3A4DB.4C5C8040]
        Ros Herman, Penny Roy & Fiona Kyle   Charles Hulme
Language & Communication Science Division         Department of Education
School of Health Sciences   Brasenose College City, University of London           Oxford University
Northampton Square           Radcliffe Square
London EC1V 0HB           Oxford OX1 4AJ
T: +44 (0)20 7040 8285       www.ox.ac.uk<http://www.ox.ac.uk> www.city.ac.uk<http://www.city.ac.uk/>

[cid:image002.jpg@01D3938F.1265BC60]

Latest publications:
Herman, R., Roy, P. & Kyle, F.E. (2017) Reading and Dyslexia in Deaf Children. http://openaccess.city.ac.uk/18544/
Ford, K., Herman, R. & Rees, J. (2107) The speech intervention journey of an adolescent with profound deafness. In B. Dodd & A. Morgan (eds) Intervention Case Studies of Child Speech Impairment. J&R Press Ltd, Guildford, Surrey, UK. (pp359-377).
Esmaeeli, Z., Lundetræ, K., & Kyle, F. E. (2017). What can parents' self-report of reading difficulties tell us about their children's emergent literacy at school entry?  Dyslexia, doi: 10.1002/dys.1571<http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/dys.1571>.

Harris, M., Terlektsi, E., & Kyle, F.E. (2017). Concurrent and longitudinal predictors of reading for deaf and hearing children in primary school. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 22 (2), 233-242. doi: 10.1093/deafed/enw101.

Harris, M., Terlektsi, E., & Kyle, F.E. (2017). Literacy outcomes for Deaf and Hard of Hearing primary school children: A cohort comparison study. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, 60(3), 701-711. doi:10.1044/2016_JSLHR-H-15-0403.

Kyle, F.E., Campbell, R., & MacSweeney, M. (2016).  The relative contributions of speechreading and vocabulary to deaf and hearing children’s reading ability.Research in Developmental Disabilities, 48, 13-24. doi:10.1016/j.ridd.2015.10.004.
Herman, R. & Roy, P. (2016) Deafness and Dyslexia. In M. Marschark & P. Spencer (eds) The Oxford Handbook of Deaf Studies: Language and Language Development. Oxford University Press
Jones, A., Toscano, E., Botting, N.l, Marshall, C.R., Atkinson, J.R., Denmark, T., Denmark, T. & Morgan, G. (2016) Narrative skills in deaf children who use spoken English: Dissociations between macro and microstructural devices. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 59, 268-282.doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2016.09.010<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2016.09.010>