With regard to Bill’s broader concern about the sort of environment we want to ensure for OOP programmers …   I’m mostly happy with the current system, modulo the many bug reports on type-bound assignment I’ve had to submit over the years.    It meshes well with similar treatment in other OO languages.

My one complaint, which is broader than just assignment, is that the specific names for type-bound procedures must be identical in subclasses that want to override something.    I can accept that the compiler won’t do the name mangling for me,   but I should not need to go look at the source code for a base class to determine how I must spell a procedure name that the user should only access through the generic name anyway.      Changing this would not break backwards compatibility, but would only be valuable if a mechanism was also added that allowed the specific _interfaces_ to be public without making the specific _names_ public.

Probably messy and not a high priority for me as I’ve become accustomed to all this.   But I thought I’d put it out there in case it inspires others.

- Tom