Evagrius, Cassian’s teacher in the Egyptian desert, describes the symbolism of the habit worn by the monks in Egypt in the prologue to his Praktikos. I’ve pasted it below, from R. E. Sinkewicz (translation, introduction, and commentary), Evagrius of Pontus: The Greek Ascetic Corpus, Oxford 2003, pp.95-6.

Best wishes,
Monica

The Monk: A Treatise on the Practical Life

[Prologue—Letter to Anatolios]

1. Beloved brother Anatolios, from the Holy Mountain you have recently made known to me in residence at Sketis your request for an explanation of the symbolism of the habit of the monks in Egypt. For you have considered that it is not by chance or superfluously that it is so different from the clothing of other people. Now then we will recount all that we have learned from the holy fathers about it.1

2. The koukoullion is a symbol of the grace of God our Saviour, which protects their ruling faculty and keeps fervent their youth in Christ, with a view to those who are always trying to batter and wound them. Therefore, those who wear this on the head sing these words with vigour: ‘Unless the Lord build the house and guard the city, the one who does the building and the one who tries to maintain the guard labours in vain’ (Ps. 126: 1). Such words instil humility and root out pride, the ancient evil which cast to earth Lucifer ‘who rises near dawn’ (Isa. 14: 1 z). 2

3. Having the hands bare shows a way of life without dissimulation, for vainglory is clever at shrouding and obscuring the virtues and is ever seeking (p.96) after people’s esteem and chasing away faith. For scripture says: ‘How can you believe when you accept glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?’ (John 5: 44). The good must be chosen, not for something else, but rather for itself. For if that is not granted, what moves us to do the good will appear of far greater value than the good that is realized. This absurdity would mean conceiving and speaking of something as superior to God.3

4. The analabos, which is in the form of a cross and is folded over their shoulders, is a symbol of faith in Christ which upholds the gentle (cf. Ps. 146: 6) and ever restrains what hinders them and provides them with an activity that is free of obstacles.4

5. The belt that is tightened around their kidneys wards off all impurity and proclaims: ‘It is well for a man not to touch a woman’ (1 Cor. 7: i).5

6. They wear the melote who ‘always carry in the body the death of Jesus’ (2 Cor. 4: 10) in muzzling all the irrational passions of the body and in cutting off the evils of the soul by participation in the good; they love poverty, while fleeing greed as the mother of idolatry (cf. Col. 3: 5).6

7. The staffis ‘a tree of life to those who lay hold of it and a strong support for those who lean upon it as upon the Lord’ (Prov. 3: 18).7

8. In short, these are the things of which the habit is a symbol, and these are the words which the fathers are ever saying to them. The fear of God, my child, strengthens faith, and abstinence in turn strengthens fear of God, and perseverance and hope render abstinence unwavering, and from these is born impassibility of which love is the offspring; love is the door to natural knowledge, which is followed by theology and ultimate blessedness.8