Dear Diane,
but cf. Regula Benedicti ch. 55: http://www.ecatholic2000.com/benedict/rule56.shtml <http://www.ecatholic2000.com/benedict/rule56.shtml>
"Let clothing be given to the brethren according to the circumstances of the place and the nature of the climate in which they live, because in cold regions more is needed, while in warm regions less. This consideration, therefore, resteth with the Abbot.“
… simple and customary wherever …
That would be normal in the early MA.
Yours
Karl