Like Rosemany I must confess to having never heard of this limitation. Can anyone please give chapter and verse in Canon Law for this? It seems on the face of it very odd!

Gordon Plumb

-----Original Message-----
From: Rosemary Hayes-Milligan and Andrew Milligan <[log in to unmask]>
To: MEDIEVAL-RELIGION <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, Feb 6, 2018 10:43 am
Subject: Re: [M-R] numbers of bells

Does it say anything about the status of the church?  Is there anything those with more bells have in common?  Are they prebendal churches, the head church of a deanery/archdeaconry, collegiate churches, churches with lots of chantries? Or is it random?

Have to admit I didn't know you were only allowed 3. If three, three of what kind?  Fixed?  Presumably, there was no limit on the sort of hand bells that are rung at the consecration - or was there?

Rosemary Hayes