The following video is now available on the CCDS YouTube channel:

Embracing Disorientation in the Disability Studies Classroom

Dr Ryan Parrey, Eastern Washington University

Date: Wednesday 31 January, 2018

Time: 2.00pm–3.30pm

Place: EDEN 109, Liverpool Hope University, UK

The work of disability studies scholars and activists can produce feelings of discomfort, uneasiness, or disorientation that are typically put aside or buried. This seminar explores the generative potential of these emotions for scholars, both within academia and within everyday life. How can we embrace rather than simply ignore or “manage” this discomfort when it arises in, or as part of, our work? Dr Parrey explores the generative potential of what happens when we stop searching for “the right answer” of what to do about disability, or disablement, and instead remain open to what it means or how it feels.

https://youtu.be/i8LLboYgTUE