Richard Cookson
Centre for Health Economics
University of York

On 3 February 2018 at 10:26, Popay, Jennie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Alan will be missed by so many people for so many reasons. He was remarkable - in my experience economist are one of the easiest disciples to ‘spot’ before they opened their mouth - but not Alan.  Magnanimous with his intellect, used humour like a precision instrument, great social skills, politically literate and engaged. The impact of an increasing frequency of deaths of significant people in ones life is an aspect of ageing I wasn’t prepared for. It’s like a personal marker of ones own movement towards death.  Alan’s death is feels particularly poignant for me - a friend and colleague who’s helped me out of difficult spaces on more than one occasion. But he was also a towering defender of so much that I valued in the public sphere - like Peter Townsend these Giants don’t have enough people standing on their shoulders these days.
.

From: Anglo-American Health Policy Network <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Michael Gusmano <[log in to unmask]ORG>
Sent: Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:22:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Alan

The breadth and quality of Alan’s work is remarkable. I am grateful that I had a chance to meet him and I shall certainly miss his insightful commentary. This is another reminder of how much I value my connection with this groups of scholars. Thank you Alan — and thank you Adam for pulling us all together.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone