I'm only now looking over this discussion, which I've found quite
interesting.

As an anecdote: last summer I was in NYC and had the opportunity to work
with a director/acting teacher who teaches Shakespeare and classical
theater at a prominent conservatory. A great actor and teacher, but I
shuddered a bit when he said that he teaches Tillyard's *World Picture* as
one of his main texts to his acting students (the other text he uses is
Barry Edelstein's *Thinking Shakespeare*). I made a few vague comments
about Tillyard's... questionable value, which he seemed to recognize, but
he said that "Greenblatt is too difficult" for his actors to handle. I
ended up sending him the notes I took on Tillyard, which aim at
deconstructing his thesis, and told him to share them with his students.
The whole situation raised the issue for me that I think many people really
do want something like Tillyard's "Key to All Mythologies" (as Elisabeth
said above) for Shakespeare, and for most art, even: a decoder ring that
easily reduces all imagery to a coherent, easily digestible (and
discardable) series of discrete "meanings."