From: Rosemary Hayes-Milligan and Andrew Milligan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 17:41
Subject: Re: [M-R] Bathing into The Blood of Christ

Dear Rob

I wondered why it was nagging at the back of my brain and now realise that it was the imagery produced by the 'modern' (19th century) translation of Anima Christi that is still the hymn most likely to get a Catholic congregation singing properly.  In hymn books I have seen, it has been attributed to John XXII (pope 1316-34) - but I do not know how accurately?  For those who do not know it, the words most frequently sung (in the UK at least) are as follows:

Soul of my Savior sanctify my breast,
Body of Christ, be thou my saving guest,
Blood of my Savior, bathe me in thy tide,
wash me with waters gushing [think we tend to sing 'flowing'] from thy side
.

Strength and protection may thy passion be,
O blessed Jesus, hear and answer me;
deep in thy wounds, Lord, hide and shelter me,
so shall I never, never part from thee.

Guard and defend me from the foe malign,
in death's dread moments make me only thine;
call me and bid me come to thee on high
where I may praise thee with thy saints for ay. (Edward Caswell's translation)

Best,
Rosemary Hayes