Have a look at:

GRAY, Jason A. 2015 *The Evolution of the Promoter of the Faith in Causes
of Beatification and Canonization of Saints:  A study of the law of 1917
and 1983,** PDF available at *
*http://www.jgray.org/docs/Promotor_Fidei_lulu.pdf*
<http://www.jgray.org/docs/Promotor_Fidei_lulu.pdf>

While this is more about the process, there are many interesting tidbits on
specific cases. And if you have ever wondered about the origin of "The
Devil's Advocate", I think this is the best source I have seen.

Meg asked, "Are there cases in which we can be sure that particular
documents were sent to the curia?"
According to Grey, any case of canonization *approved by the Pope *would
have had to have been documented by a petitioner, in accordance with the
requirement of Canon Law. He writes (p.24):

A canonization by papal authority always involved an assembly (a tribunal)
which was constituted within the context of a council or a synod in which
the Pope was surrounded by his brother bishops and  cardinals. A *libellus *of
the life of the servant of God was read; attributed miracles were examined;
and witnesses were heard. The council discerned and the Roman Pontiff
decided whether to grant liturgical cult and the title of saint to the
servant of God.

For cases approved at the episcopal level (prior to the time when
canonization decisions became the exclusive purview of the Pope) things
were not always well documented and there was no obligation to even involve
Rome.

Hoping this helps,

Richard J Legault

Richard J Legault

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 9:25 AM, Karen Schousboe <[log in to unmask]