The UK einformation Group is pleased to announce the publication of Volume 14 issue 2-3 2017/18 of its journal eLucidate.

To read a PDF copy go to:

https://tinyurl.com/y8l6tzzj

UKeiG is committed to promoting the theory and practice of organising digital knowledge and information. The UK Chapter of the International Society for Knowledge Organisation is one of our partner organisations overseeing the presentation of the prestigious Tony Kent Strix Award featured in this issue.

Taxonomy and effective and systematically applied metadata continue to underpin effective data management, information management and enterprise search in organisations. Helen Challinor contributes a fascinating case study of a project - Vocabulary Management at the Department for Education - that takes us back to the essential basics of information retrieval, of nomenclature and thesauri.

The 2017 Internet Librarian International (ILI) conference was a huge success. Katherine Allen, Business Development Director, Information Today Europe, writes: "Information professionals wear many hats. They are leaders in tech, organisational influencers, expert marketers, change managers, internet super searchers, and much more." One of the themes that stood out was the fundamental issue of information integrity, "fake news", "disinformation’ and the significant implications for information and digital literacy. Social media nurtures a world of titillation and outrage. The critical appraisal of information resources is in our DNA, and we are moving into another era with profound ethical considerations. "The fake, the false…is an opportunity."

Jisc’s Lis Parcell, in a presentation for UKeiG - "Flexing our digital muscle: beyond information literacy" - explored tools and resources to help assess digital capability in individuals, teams and organisations. "Library and information professionals have long been recognised for expertise in information literacy, but the need for more digitally capable organisations creates new avenues for staff to develop their roles and contribute to the digital strategy of the organisation." Digital literacy is a complex and morphing concept, embracing core ICT proficiency alongside content creation and innovation, communication and collaboration, information retrieval, technology enhanced learning and digital professionalism. We explore some of the issues.

Martin White, Managing Director of Intranet Focus Ltd, provides sobering food for thought as he considers the intellectual property and security implications of jointly shared information in collaborative environment.

Claire Carter, Academic Liaison Librarian at the University of Bedfordshire, reports back on last year’s eclectic and stimulating CILIP Conference in a feature entitled: "Data, Information, Knowledge & Disruptive Technologies in an Age of Uncertainty."

Enjoy, and please give us your feedback and join us in discussions on social media.

Gary Horrocks

Editor, eLucidate

Previous issues are available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y7th8cfv

UKeiG is a Special Interest Group of CILIP: the library and information association
7 Ridgmount Street, London, WC1E 7AE. Registered Charity No. 313014