Call for Papers: Zurich Conference on "Postcolonial Language Studies: Changes and Challenges"

Date: 04-Jun-2018 - 06-Jun-2018
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Call Deadline: 28-Jan-2018

Contact Person: Danae Perez
Meeting Email: [log in to unmask]
Meeting URl: http://www.iacpl.uzh.ch/de.html

Linguistic Fields: Anthropological linguistics, Historical sociolinguistics, Language documentation, Missionary linguistics, Language contact

Meeting Description:

In postcolonial communities, both colonial history and the experience of decolonization shape cultural norms, transmission of knowledge, and communicative practices. While forces of social change, such as colonialism, globalization, or Americanization, threaten to weaken community ties and endanger linguistic diversity (e.g. Harrison 2007; Edwards 2010), marginalized communities have shown resistance and emancipation by adapting and appropriating new forms of communication and enriching local practices (Mufwene 2008). This has challenged earlier scholarly approaches to postcolonial communities as well as current linguistic scholarship, which seems to limit itself to traditional analytic approaches that are insufficient to fully grasp the linguistic outcomes of these social forces.

This conference aims at bringing together researchers working on all aspects of language use and linguistic practices in colonial and postcolonial settings. Our goal is to explore, describe, and better understand how changing social conditions shape linguistic practices in colonial and postcolonial contexts. In so doing, we want to critically evaluate a number of basic, perhaps Eurocentric, assumptions, such as the loss of linguistic diversity, or the role of the researcher as an active agent within the context in which they work.

Call for Papers:

We invite submissions for 20-minute presentations on empirical, theoretical, or methodological research on any aspect of language use in colonial and postcolonial contexts. These may include, but are not limited to, language policies, language ideologies, and communicative practices in colonial and postcolonial settings, as well as structural aspects of postcolonial varieties. We are particularly interested in critical views on basic assumptions in both linguistic theory and methodology. Please send your 300-word abstracts (excl. references) to http://www.iacpl.uzh.ch/de.html by January 28, 2018.

Important Dates

Deadline Call for Papers: January 28, 2018

Notification of Acceptance: February 28, 2018

Conference dates: June 4–6, 2018