Sometimes there isn’t any such thing as “viewer experience”…the image goes into an archive and it could be years before anybody actually sees it…and that somebody may never get to see the original piece.

Which is why there are some guidelines and standards. If the photographer is the only person viewing the image (perhaps the curators too) and the original, they need to make sure the image adheres to so sort of an agreeable standard.

BR

Yair

From: AHFAP UK cultural heritage sector <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of William Punter <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, 11 January 2018 at 16:24
To: AHFAP UK cultural heritage sector <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re:  Re: Accurate colour reproduction

Hi Sara, I was thinking about this too..

Given that everyone sees colour differently as well, I don’t think anything can be done.  But on the plus side end-users’ eyes will (to some extent) balance the colour shifts between different computers and people might all experience, say, a neutral grey, even though it’s not, and even though their screens etc. are different.  The human flaws are also a blessing!  If we juxtaposed an x-rite grey swatch next to their screen, the grey they saw as neutral might suddenly look red-dish, but before that it just looked grey to them – no problem then.  And if they’re that fussy, they’re probably in a related industry already and will take care of it.

I guess it’s a bit like resolution – most end users (I’m thinking collections online viewers rather than professional publishers) won’t see the detail we capture in the jpegs they see, unless embedding huge files online, but we do it for multiple outputs and try to cover all bases.  With the colour management they might not get accurate colour on their laptop screen but when they license the tiff for a catalogue and have a colour-managed print made, they will get excellent results and the work we do will be even more worthwhile.  Ofcourse, it’s still dependant on viewing conditions etc. but who’s walking into the Royal Academy gift shop worrying about the viewing conditions and how they’ll affect their catalogue browsing (yes, us!).

I’m not saying it’s not worthwhile, I’m just saying people experience what we’re trying to achieve even if they can’t control the variables which have an impact on it.

I’d be interested to hear what you think.

Have a good one,

Will

William Punter I Digitisation Photographer | Alfred Gillett Trust (C & J Clark Ltd)

The Grange I Farm Road I Street I Somerset I UK I BA16 0BQ

Email: [log in to unmask] I [log in to unmask] I

Tel: 01458 444060 I Direct Dial: 01458 444076

Web: http://alfredgilletttrust.org/

ttp://thinkbeforeprinting.org/struct/signature-1.gif

The Alfred Gillett Trust is a registered Charity. Registered number:1165528. Registered Office: The Grange, Farm Road, Street, Somerset, BA16 0BQ. The views expressed in this email are personal and may not necessarily reflect those of the Trust, unless explicitly stated otherwise. This email, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you should not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition for the presence of computer viruses. However, we cannot accept liability for viruses that may be in this email. We recommend that you check all emails with an appropriate virus scanner.