Dear All,

We would like to draw your attention to the following session at EGU 2018:

*Subduction initiation on Earth: new ideas on a complex process (TS9.3)*

We invite contributions from different disciplines, covering (but not
limited to) geodynamics, tectonics, metamorphic petrology, geochemistry and
geochronology. Please feel free to submit your abstract *here​
<http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/session/27130>.*

Please note that the deadline for abstract submission is *10 Jan 2018.*

*Session description:*

Subduction initiation is a cornerstone in the theory of plate tectonics, as
cold slab pull is the most efficient engine for plate motions. Nowadays,
the emergence of new subduction zones marks the turning point of the
Earth’s Wilson cycles and ultimately of the gran supercontinent cycles as
well. But do subduction zones mostly migrate from ocean to ocean as an
invasive mechanism, or can they start anew in Atlantic-type oceans? Two
other related key-questions are how the first subduction started on Earth,
and whether subduction always leads to Plate Tectonics.

This session is intended to be a forum where these fundamental questions
will be debated. So we welcome contributions from across the disciplines of
Earth Sciences, presenting new observational data, models and ideas about
the subduction initiation process on Earth, both in the context of the
Wilson cycles and the origin of plate tectonics.

*Confirmed solicited presentation:* Marzieh Baes, Helmholtz Centre Potsdam,
GFZ

We are looking forward to seeing many of you in Vienna!

Happy holidays and best wishes for 2018.

On behalf of the conveners,

João Duarte​, Susanne Buiter, Anne Davaille, Taras Gerya, Elena Sizova and
Kalijn Peters

​*Kalijn Peters MSc *| Department of Earth Sciences | Faculty of
Geosciences, Utrecht University | Budapestlaan 4, 3584 CD Utrecht, The
Netherlands | Room O.129 | E-mail: [log in to unmask] |​