Spatial Humanities 2018

Lancaster University,

Lancaster, UK

20-21st Sept 2018

See: http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/dighum/sh2018/

Following the success of Spatial Humanities 2016, we are delighted to announce a new conference in this series for 2018. Spatial Humanities 2018 is concerned with exploring what geospatial technologies such as Geographical Information Systems (GIS) have to contribute to humanities research.  The main aim is to explore and demonstrate the contributions to knowledge enabled by these technologies, approaches and methods within and beyond the digital humanities.  We welcome submissions on all aspects of using geospatial technologies in humanities research, including database development, methodological innovation and applied research that develops our understanding of the geographies of the past.

We welcome contributions from all humanities disciplines including (but not limited to) history (including fields from social science history such as historical demography and environmental history), archaeology, literary studies, classics, linguistics and religious studies, as well as from technical fields including GISc, digital humanities, computational linguistics and computer science.  Contributions from PhD students are encouraged and bursaries are available (see below).  Non-speaking participants are also welcome.

Keynote speakers:

Prof. David Bodenhamer, The Polis Center, Indiana Purdue University, Indianapolis

Dr. Janelle Jenstad, Department of English, University of Victoria.

Student bursaries:  We are delighted to offer up to four student bursaries of up to £200 to PhD students who are sole or lead authors of a paper. These can be used to cover all or part of receipted travel, accommodation, registration or subsistence expenses. Applications will be considered by the organising committee on the basis of the quality of the abstract. To apply simply check the appropriate box on the conference abstract submission form.

How to participate:  Submissions can be complete sessions or individual papers.  A session will usually have three or four papers and a chair.  Other formats are also welcome.  Individual papers will be assigned to sessions by the organising committee.  To submit please use the abstract submission form, including a 250 word abstract for each paper.

Deadline for abstracts:  28th Feb 2018.

Notification of acceptance:  29th March 2018.

Venue:  Lancaster University is easily accessible from Manchester or Liverpool Airports, the main West Coast railway line, and the M6 motorway.  Direct trains from Manchester Airport take a little over an hour, trains from London take around two and a half hours.  For more information see: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/contact-and-getting-here/maps-and-travel/

Costs:  Full registration including teas & coffees and lunch on both days costs £195, reduced to £95 for students.  Day rates are £110 (full) and £55 (student) respectively.  Accommodation is available in the university and the city and should be booked separately once papers have been accepted.

For further information see:  http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/dighum/sh2018/

Contact details for informal enquiries:  [log in to unmask]