Hiya -

At least in the United States, the terminology “blind and visually impaired” is widely used. I’m not blind myself and so I try to use the terminology that communities use. I take my direction from Lighthouse and NFB — but I’m also aware that many people feel that these organizations don’t represent all blind people. In any case, when referring to any single individual, I use the term that that person prefers. What do you prefer we use for you?

We should remember that not everyone will agree on language.  I belong to the  mad scholars / psychiatric disability communities and there is absolutely no consensus there on what terminology to use. If you use any term, you’re sure to offend someone.

Warmly,

Karen