WVS took on work for the Armed Forces when it became a member of the Council of Volunteer War Workers, in 1940 and established the Services Welfare Department. Most of the WVS’s work for the Armed forces was domestic including canteens and darning socks. These services developed further in 1944 by training WVS members to run clubs for Service Men overseas.

The NAAFI wanted WVS to run clubs for soldiers in their barracks and the first contingency was sent to the Algiers after the war ended. Another place they went to was India and one member wrote a number of letters which were donated to the collection last year.

In this week’s Heritage Bulletin Blog we share a small extract from one of her letters a slightly easier palaeography challenge than the usual Narrative Reports we post once a month http://bit.ly/HBBlogMain

Jennifer Hunt BA (Hons), Msc Econ Deputy Archivist

Royal Voluntary Service Archive & Heritage Collection
Unit 1A Bath Road Business Centre, Bath Road, Devizes, SN10 1XA
Telephone: 01380 730 211 Mobile: 07714 898 639

Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
Web: www.royalvoluntaryservice.org.uk/archiveandheritagecollection

Twitter: www.twitter.com/RVSarchives

Facebook: www.facebook.com/rvsarchives/