Okay I am going to put my head above the parapet and confess that this is the hourly rate I am paid for my main job (because I was basically in a position of “you can have this new position at this rate or refuse/resign” – and I couldn’t afford not to have a job, I had been on a series of temporary contracts and this was at least a permanent role).

I have subsequently had to sign up for a number of casual roles in order to have a chance of earning extra to make ends meet.  I am job-hunting for positions with a better rate of pay and trying to decide on what career change I can make to earn a decent wage.  Trouble is I love teaching in museums and generally engaging with visitors to inspire a love of history.

Jo Willis

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cathy Simpson
Sent: 25 October 2017 14:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: GEM job ad: Engagement Officer - Royal Institute of British Architects

It would , however, be sad if the sector stopped flourishing because it lost personnel through stress and poverty. I did not mean my initial response to be colleague bashing; as many of you pointed out, they are only posting what they are able to. I am really glad to note the responses urging action and wonder whether if GEM were to turn round to institutions and say that they are unable to advertise posts below the real living wage (as opposed to the Governments’ stab at one) then maybe the ‘industry’ would finally sit up and take notice.

Cathy

Sent from my Windows 10 phone