Claire

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard Ellam
Sent: 16 October 2017 10:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Social integration at events

HI Claire

Did you design the event to allow for or facilitate interactions between the
various groups of presenters you involved?

I ask because I used to take science shows to events like the British
Science Festival as part of their schools programme. I found that it was
almost impossible to get a chance to meet up with other people presenting in
the schools programme because I was busy doing my own stuff all day, every
day at the festival. The organisers did not think it worth their while to
facilitate any kind of interaction between schools programme providers by
for example organising any kind of evening social event for us, having a
'green room' where providers could chill at lunch or whenever, or ensuring
that presenters had programmed gaps in their timetables so that they could
go and see other activities. It was even hard to find out who else was going
in advance to try and set up an informal get together.

If you have planned a successful event then all the providers you've invited
should be busy interacting with the public pretty much all the time. So they
won't have time to interact much with each other - and if they have
scheduled breaks they'll probably be too busy recovering from the last
hectic bout of work (running workshops/doing shows is intense hard work if
you're doing it right) to want to have much to do with other presenters at
the event. And if the other presenters are working with the public they
won't want to be having the very different conversations that come with
interacting with fellow professionals.

Depending on your event there are lots of things you could to to promote
'professional' interactions: have an after-party and invite everyone to it,
organise a preview hour before the event opens so that presenters can see
what each other are doing, have a pre-event session where presenters are
encouraged to come along and showcase what they're doing to each other,
circulate all the presenters with a list of who else is coming and what
they're doing, with contact details, set up a "green room" and encourage
people to use it, and so on.

Good professional interactions don't just happen: they have to be prepared
for, just like good interactions with your target audiences.

Hope this helps

All the best

Richard.

Richard Ellam

L M Interactive

Science Shows and Hands-On Stuff

<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

www.lminteractive.co.uk <http://www.lminteractive.co.uk>

On 15 Oct 2017, at 17:54, Claire Adler <[log in to unmask]