On Friday we held a very successful conference here in Bristol on "Making Traffic-free Spaces" aimed mainly at practitioners in local authorities and consultancies who work for them.  We have created a website www.trafficremoval.uk with a Forum and an emailing list (to be used very sparingly) to continue the dialogue begun at the conference.  By "traffic removal" we mean:

- pedestrianisation or (permanent) road closures
- filtering out of general traffic (allowing 'filtered permeability' for other modes)
- redesigns of road networks to remove through traffic
- other reductions in road capacity

We have signed up all the conference delegates by default and will be looking to publicise the site and attract others to register.  Amongst other things we hope to use this to disseminate relevant research findings.  If your research interests touch on any of the subjects above you would be very welcome to register for the Forum.  Please go to: https://trafficremoval.wixsite.com/home/forum/.  We will need to approve all requests to enable access to the Forum page (to keep out the spammers).

Best Regards

Dr Steve Melia
Senior Lecturer in Transport and Planning
Centre for Transport and Society
Department of Geography and Environmental Engineering
University of the West of England
Coldharbour Lane
Bristol BS16 1QY
0117 328 3267