Dear colleagues,

greetings from down under. I wonder if any of you had any resources about dealing with students' informal complains. We have a number of good policies and procedures here at MQ which outline how a student should go about complaining about academic or other university related matters. What we do not have is examples of how to reply to students in informal ways, when the tutor or a lecturer faces a complain and tries to informally settle it . For example, if a lecturer receives emails from students demanding a reply to their email in 24 hrs...or if a student raises an ideological complain about the type of content we teach, or if a student complains about a tutor's behavior to another tutor. What I am interested is to create a small guide to 'Informal Complains and how to manage them' to give to our Heads of Departments, Lecturers and Casual staff. Ideally this would include some sample replies we can give to students in a consistent way while we try to investigate further.  If you also know of any training resources (online course or MOOC, in this space) please let me know.

Any information would be greatly received.

best wishes

Panos

Associate Professor Panos Vlachopoulos
Associate Dean Quality and Standards