Hi folks

Building on our ESRC-funded research project about personal assistance relationships with 30 disabled people and 30 personal assistants, we have developed a MOOC - free online course  on "The Role of Personal Assistants in Disability Support".  This is not so much the basic introduction as an advanced level training, looking at how to get on, and how to avoid conflict, and how to resolve conflict.

We have benefitted from the input of eight different UK disabled people's organisations to refine and improve our material.  We have also had the wonderful David Shenton doing our illustrations.

We are running the MOOC from the end of September as a trial.  Anyone who has experience of either employing personal assistants or being a personal assistant, or commissioning personal assistance services is encouraged to participate.   Although it reflects UK experiences, it is relevant to any country which funds individuals with disabilities to employ their own support workers.

The course is free, and you do it in your own time.  The whole course would take 2- 3 hours to complete if you did it non-stop.  The online course was funded by the ESRC Impact Accelerator Scheme.

Here's the address if you want to sign up:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/personal-assistants-disability-support/

All feedback is welcome

Thanks

Tom

[cid:D071D988-91E7-4022-9FA2-B329CB6CE550@home]Professor Tom Shakespeare
Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich  NR4 7TJ
e.  [log in to unmask]
w. (+44 (0) 1603 591 952
m. (+44)(0) 7816  442  779
s. tom.shakespeare

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Gold (Teaching Excellence Framework 2017)
UK Top 15 (The Times/Sunday Times 2017 and Complete University Guide 2018)
World Top 200 (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017)
Top 5 for student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2005-2017. Overall student satisfaction, English mainstream universities)

[TEF Gold logo RGB]  [facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/ueaofficial>   [twitter-old] <http://www.twitter.com/uniofeastanglia>  [tumblr] <http://uniofeastanglia.tumblr.com/>  [flickr] <http://www.flickr.com/uniofeastanglia>  [linkedin] <http://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=12699>  [youtube] <http://www.youtube.com/ueaofficial>  [cid:[log in to unmask]] <http://instagram.com/uniofeastanglia>

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this email or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation.