Hi Jonathan,

I wish I could offer some help with this, but we abandoned that pipeline within a few weeks of my post. We simply modified our protocol to collect 1 additional B0 image with the opposite phase encoding as the rest of our sequence (which is 10 B0 images and 60 DWI). This adds something like 30 seconds at most on a 3T MAGNETOM. In exchange for that 30 seconds, you gain the ability to use TOPUP. In my experience with both healthy subjects, tumor patients, and AVM patients, estimating the susceptibility field using TOPUP and feeding the results to Eddy works far, far, far better than using the Siemens fieldmaps.

That said, if you are working with already collected data and/or cannot change your sequence going forward, I would defer to Jesper and the other experts for your problem. I never used the field_mat option because the fieldmap I was giving Eddy was already in the space of the diffusion data (from having previously run FLIRT). So I assumed using field_mat would be redundant. Further, because the problem was unsolved back when I emailed, we settled for using eddy_correct in place of eddy. Shortly after that we changed our protocol as I described above.

Good luck!

-Ben

Ben Chernoff
Ph.D. Student, Concepts, Actions, and Objects Lab
Rochester Center for Brain Imaging, Room 2B231
University of Rochester