Hi Lucia,

Please see below:

On 7 August 2017 at 08:03, Li, Lucia M <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Anderson,
>

> Thank you very much for the design & explanation. We are now setting up
> the feat designs for the first tests (one for testing main effect of TIME
> and the interaction, one for testing main effect of GROUP).
>

> I just had a couple of questions I hope you may be able to clarify.
>

> 1) In the excel file with the design you made previously, there is a
> column marked "EB". Do I need to change the 'Group' column in the 'EVs' tab
> of the GLM design to the same as this? (i.e. instead of the default list of
> '1', I need to change it to '1 1 2 2 3 3 ... ')? Or is the EB column in the
> file you sent only there to explain what you've done?

These are the exchangeability blocks, one per subject. For the time effects
and the interactions, these would be entered into randomise with the option
"-e design.grp". For the effect of group, in addition to "-e design.grp",
you'd also include the option "--permuteBlocks".

In PALM, this could go all in a single run with "-eb" instead of "-e":

palm -i input.nii.gz -d design1.csv -d design2.csv -t contrasts1.csv -t
contrasts2.csv -eb EB.csv -whole -within -corrcon [... other options ...]

> 2) In C1 (main effect of time), the way the contrast is set up is to test
> 't1>t2'. If I wanted to get 't2>t1', would I just enter in '-8 -8' (or in
> our case '-20 -20' because we have 20 subjects) in that line on the
> 'Contrasts & F tests' tab?

Yes, or just [-1 -1 0 0 ...]

> 3) In the file that you've sent, you've put 'F1' next to 'C1' and 'F2'
> next to 'C2'. Am I right in thinking that what this means is to have 2
> F-tests, and for F1, check the box next to C1 only? And for the F2, check
> the box next to C2 only? (i.e. I do not need to check the boxes for 'C1'
> and 'C2' within the same F-test column)

There is no need to do F-tests, unless you really want them, since the
"-corrcon" already corrects across all. If you really want the F-tests, F1
go with C1 only, F2 with C2 only. If you include negative contrasts, the
F-tests remain unchanged.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Anderson